From:
Lisa Ercolano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:03:09 -0400

Hi,

This is Lisa from Baltimore. I have posted before regarding my 11 year old
daughter who was having some distressing digestive symptoms (diarrhea,
bloating, gas and nausea). She has been under the care of Drs. Alessio
Fasano and Dr. Karoly Horvath at the University of Maryland and has had, as
of today, extensive blood work and (today) biopsies taken through an HGD and
colonoscopy.

Though her bloodwork showed she had a high antigliadin level (165), the
other blood tests did NOT indicate celiac disease (which was the first
suspect because Olivia is half Italian and half Irish.) Today's scoping of
the upper and lower GI tract showed dozens of small ulcerations, as well as
(the doctor said) a slight narrowing of the area near the ileum.

He believes that Olivia has Crohn's disease, though the official biopsy
results will not be in for about five days. In the meantime, he sent us home
tonight with a prescription for a sulfa drug.

I asked both the nurse who is experienced with digestive diseases and Dr.
Horvath (who did the scoping and showed me the location of the sore spots)
whether or not dietary changes can have any role in recovery from Crohn's.

The unequivocal answer was: there is no scientific proof that *any* diet
helps.

I have trouble believing this. I have heard from some of you who have gone
GF because of various digestive problems, and you report sucess.

How about GF for Crohn's? Or the SCD? I understand the principles of these
diets, but what I don't understand is why they would work on what doctors
say is an auto-immune disease .... if Crohn's is caused by the immune system
attacking the person's own digestive system, why would eliminating
gluten/sugar/carbs help?

I really *want* to do something other than pump my girl full of drugs. Help!
At this point, we are very concerned  ... a diagnosis of Crohn's for an 11
year old girl is NOT encouraging ...

Thanks in advance ...

Lisa