From:
Mara Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 17:09:59 EDT

I wasn't planning to summarize, but members sent some other good ideas for
breakfast that might benefit others. Here was mine:

"I love to heat a bowl of (previously steamed) brown rice in the microwave,
drizzle honey on it and sprinkle sliced almonds over all. It's also great to
slice up half a banana and mix it in."

Here are some breakfast ideas from others:

Erewhon's Twice Rice
***
Have you tried "mock" oatmeal with cooked brown rice? You take your leftovers
and add enough water to cover, add 1 Tbspn of hot brown rice cereal to
thicken either in the microwave or on the gas range. It thickens up to
something like oatmeal. Add your favorite topping.
***
I use corn, rice, or any GF FLAKES of choice.  Add a handful of raisins, 1
fresh apple or peach diced up, a few dried cranberries, some sunflower seeds,
a couple tablespoons of ground flax seeds, maybe some chopped almonds. Pour
plain unsweetened yoghurt over the top, and set in the
fridge.

In the morning, the raisins are plump, the apple has released it's
natural sweetness, and the flakes are nice and soft.  If the mixture is
too thick, you can add a little apple juice, more yoghurt, or even
keifer.

This is easy to scoop out into bowls at anytime of day.  The longer it sits
in the fridge, the better it tastes.  Also nice for a casual GF dessert.
***
I take a 2.00 box of Pocono, Cream of Buckwheat and mix it with grits in a
large Tupperware container.  I take 1/3 cup and about 1 cup of milk and add
your fruit of choice and microwave for 4 minutes.  This is very inexpensive
and sugar free. They sell Buckwheat Toaster waffles by Lifestream at our
health Food stores, that are very good, and clearly marked g/f.
***
...did you ever try scrambling an egg in with your rice, gives you more
protein also.
***
Thanks for the suggestion.  I am trying to gain weight back so I will try it
with coconut milk. [mmm]
***
And don't forget bacon and eggs!  Also - all pancake/waffle recipes can be
used merely substituting rice flour for regular.
***
I always have some brown rice cooked in the refrigerator but don't think of
it as hot cereal.  I will try it soon, and add nuts, raisins, or chopped
prunes, milk, maybe cinnamon.