Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 19:32:16 -0500

Many thanks to all who replied.  Here’s a summary of the replies I got regarding dental fillings.

--I checked with our dentist and the white composite filling they use is Dentsply Esthet-X..  I called the manufacturer's professional line 800# just now and they
said yes they know what celiac is, one of the employees in their office is a diagnosed celiac, and there is no gluten in their composite fillings.

--My dentist uses Ivoclar Empress (pressed ceramic system). I was assured by Ivocar, a very large intl company, that the product was gluten free...they ran some checks
with their technical people, their lawyers (of all things) and finally sent me a list of the ingredients.

--We haven't had problems with any numbing creams or injections. What I did have trouble with was my former dentist's x-rays. She put one film in for every tooth. I'm chemically sensitive anyway, and that made me horribly ill.

--My daughter and I have both gotten the composite type fillings without any problems.  I haven't found a single product yet that the dentist uses that has gluten in it.

--Try and go to a mercury-free dentist, and make sure to get the acryllic fillings.  My dentist checked out all the ingredients for me, and I have had all mercury amalgams removed years ago.

--My children & I have successfully used 3M composite fillings.

--There is an opinion and practice that patients should be tested for compatibility to their dental materials. Does anyone have any more info on this?  Also there is an association, DAMS, (google it) that is dedicated to helping folks with these issues. I had them send me a packet of info. I'm sure there are other organizations as well.

 ----I (the summarizer) also called 3M myself and they verified that they put no gluten containing ingredients in their composite fillings.  However, my dental office does not recommend standard composites for back teeth because they say they don’t stay in place well over time.  When I emphasized my strong position of avoiding the mercury containing amalgams, she said she would look into using some new products they have available.  They settled on a plan to use Quixx by the company Dentsply, which she said is kind of like a composite because it is tooth colored and light curable but is packable like an amalgam and stronger than a resin.  It is gluten free and mercury free.  Also, the topical numbing product, the pain shot, and the prep are all gluten free.

I plan to write down all the product & manufacturer names for items tomorrow when I bring my son for his appointment, but I wanted to get this summary out ASAP because a number of other people requested a summary as they need dental work done soon too.  I will post a follow-up.

Dawn Pilney

EarthLink Revolves Around You.