From:
Diana Day <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:48:48 EST

Thanks so much for all the replies about sources for uncontaminated oats. To
summarize:

The only source anyone mentioned as somewhat safe was McCann's Irish Oatmeal,
produced in an "oats only" mill in Ireland. Some people said they'd had no
problems with them. The majority of responses advised against eating any oats at
all. Here are some of the comments:

~~~~~~~~~~~
I've had good luck with McCann's Irish Oats. They're usually available in
large supermarkets. Others have said to stay away from oats altogether. I guess
it depends on your sensitivity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've come to the conclusion about the only way to get 100%
GF pure oats is to grow a crop yourself in a
hydroponics greenhouse, maybe a regular greenhouse
would work. But that's about the only way to do it &
have known GF oats I'm afraid....McCann's Irish Oatmeal out
of Ireland is an"oats-only" mill & even theirs is contaminated. I've
eaten it & run in to wheat & barley floating around in
the pot after I've cooked it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
....., it is unlikely that any oats are not contaminated.  The contamination
comes from the farm machinery that harvests the oats.  The farmers that use
such machinery are unable to clean them each time they cut something, and so the
seed gets into  the machinery and falls out whenever it likes.  Also, farmers
like to double their crops by planting fields with one grain one season and
another the next season...  So, you see, a farmer would have to have celiac
disease on the mind while doing his farming in order to not have oats
contamination.  Corn and rice are grown differently and harvested differently so they are
not affected.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Based on a recently published article in the New England Journal of
Medicine,   all  oats in the US, Canada, including the "gluten free"
oats from Ireland are contaminated.
My suggestion, don't eat it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 While McCann's doesn't guarantee g.f., they have several things in their
favor..

1) dedicated plant--processes only oats

2) non-GMO status--which means their oats are grown under contract so they
know where they are coming from (from website--"Some of the best oats come from
the counties of Kildare (shown in orange on the map) and Meath (shown in
yellow) where all the oats for John McCann's Irish Oatmeal are grown under
contract." & Delivered to plant's silos by trucks.)  The fewer steps in the process
means less contamination.

3) a cleaning & extracting process that is pretty
strigent--http://www.mccanns.ie/pages/oatstory1.html#2  Last step in cleaning is to remove small oats,
which would probably be larger than kernels of wheat or barley.
You can buy McCann's Irish oatmeal.  I usually buy the steel cut oats, they
have quick cooking oatmeal too.  Very tasty!! I have been eating it now for
about one year!
The warning about oats applies to all of North America I believe.
They grow LOTS of wheat in Canada.

The bottom line is that there's no known oats that are always
uncontaminated. McCann's is close, but even those had some containers
with more than 200 ppm gluten.