From:
"Phillip W. Richmond" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 20:13:20 -0700

I would like to suggest that many celiacs reaction to minute quanities
of gluten proteins is a learned defense mechanism of the body. I have
read the expert posts and they quite often are telling people that the
small amounts of gluten proteins in, for example, vodka are not capable
of doing damage and that any reaction must be something else besides
celiacs desease. I agree. It is the body saying "If you continue eating
this you will be so sorry!" I don't know how the body detects such
minute amounts but I am sure that it does. Each persons reactions are
different because they are learned. They are individual signals that the
food ingested, or one with identical "markers", has in the past been
very harmful to the body.

The body forgets as well as learns. That is why a food avoided long
enough often doesn't cause the same reactions.  Assuming, of course,
that the actual offending food is avoided. That means an absolute CF
diet is carefully followed. NO gluten or gluten proteins are allowed,
period.

Phil in GJ,CO,USA