From:
FRAN KNITS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
FRAN KNITS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 23:31:08 -0800

Hi,

this has been a very long 3 weeks. my mom was medivaced off her cruise ship
3 weeks ago to the cleveland clinic in westin, fla due to extreme bloating
in her abdomen. She was then flown back to NY where she would receive
treatment as we all live in the NY metropolitan area including my mom.

at the cleveland clinic they tapped her belly and began testing. they found
cancer and thought it was mostly likely ovarian. But they did not rule out
cancer of the colon or other cancers related to her history or ulcers and
colitis.

well last friday she had surgery  in a New York hospital and they removed
95% of the cancer and today the slides showed the primary cancer was in the
abdomen. i don't have the report yet to quote exactly where it is but it
definitely was not ovarian.

the gyn-oncologist said many cancers masquerade as ovarian.

Now my I was just diagnosed with celiac this past april when i went to the
dermatologist with a rash and he did an biopsy and then a 2nd biopsy when
the lab wanted to do the 2nd biopsy under special lights and found i had
DH. I went on the gluten free diet and had a endoscopy which showed i had
celiac.

So then i had everyone in my family tested and only my daughter tested
positive for celiac. My mother also went to the doctor and at first he
refused to test her but i insisted and gave her the names of the blood
tests and finally the dr. agreed to do the blood test and it came back
negative.

BUT during my mom's pre-op tests which included a endoscopy the GI doctor
found celiac sprue!

Today is one week since the operation and she is doing amazingly well and
began solid foods. Of course her first meal was a roll and butter! but i
was there for lunch and made sure her lunch meal was gluten free. i laughed
a little when the woman serving the trays gave her a chicken,mashed potato
and green pea plate and told her not to eat the peas as they had starch in
them and therefore not gluten free.

then came the hand out prepared for gluten free diets that the nutritionist
came to give her. the first line said people on gluten free diets must not
eat wheat, rye, barley, buckwheat and millet.  I just told my mother she
could eat Kasha (buckwheat) I told the nutritionist that her handout was in
error. I see now that millet is also allowed on a gluten free diet as it is
more closely related to corn.

My questions to everyone are:
How do I go about asking the right questions to see if her cancer is
related to undiagnosed celiac disease? My mother is 76 years old.

Was I right about the misinformation in the gluten free handout? How can I
go about making them aware of the error if it does exist?

fran