From:
"Thomas, Janet (HRD)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 1995 14:23:00 ADT

My son has been gluten-free for 4 years now.  I find that an inadvertent
ingestion of gluten does not lead to an immediate reaction in terms of
diarrhea.  Rather we usually know he's had gluten because within 24 hours he
has a personality change.  He goes from being a happy-go-lucky boy to an
irritable, whiny brat.  I've seen him have a crying spell that lasts for an
hour and when asked what is the problem he responds with 'I don't know but I
can't stop crying'.  Anyone else with a Celiac child have this reaction?  (I
asked a local gastro doctor about this at a recent Celiac meeting and he
dismissed by comment with 'Oh, well, the behaviour change is due to him just
not feeling well'.  Meanwhile, our paedatrician told us that it is
speculated that children react like this because the ingestion of gluten has
caused the bowel to not absorb some essential nutrients and thus there is a
chemical reaction in the brain.  So who do we believe?)
Janet