From:
Conner, Ginger - midway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:45:37 -0600

> Do you know of a substitute for tapioca flour that would work with the new
> gluten-free flour recipe by Bette Hagman which contains the garfava
> bean flour?  I made the basic bread without yeast from a recipe in her
> new cookbook.  It tastes wonderful and has an excellent texture but it
> fell after I took it out of the oven.  Any ideas?  I substituted egg
> replacer for the eggs and egg white.  I used orange juice instead of
> the buttermilk.  (I can't have eggs and casein.)
>
> I have another question.  Since I am allergic to eggs, would the
> whites only be ok?

--------------------

You should be able to substitute potato starch or arrowroot starch or
corn starch and as for the eggs have you tried duck eggs?We have
customers in the store who can't do chicken eggs but can use duck or
pheasant eggs or quail eggs. We carry duck eggs all the time but the
pheasant and or quail eggs can sometimes be bought at Asian stores.

------------------

I've made that bread numerous times and it always comes out just right -
one of the few that does not collapse.  Could be it wasn't baked quite
all the way?  Then again, I do use the buttermilk.  You can probably
substitute either corn starch or sweet rice flour for the tapioca.  I am
having good success with the sweet rice flour - find it called Mochiko
in the oriental section. .(I'm baking a loaf right now and have
increased the baking time to prevent falling.)

-----------------------

I am experimenting with a good replacement for eggs, one that is also
gluten free and dairy free and vegan!  It's that awful Hawaiian treat
called Poi.  I got my hands on some dried poi after a year of searching
and begging local companies.  My first 2 experiments were a complete
success.  If it continues to work, we may be able to get poi powder sold
as an egg replacer.  It has no real taste of its own, and is definitely
gooey enough.  I just haven't shared with the list until I get all types
of baked goods to work out.

----------------------------

I seem to react slightly to tapioca flour, and have replaced it with
arrowroot powder, and have also used agar agar in muffins (powdered
gelatin that helps bind the baked goods together).

--------------

Sorry I can't answer your question about substitution for tapioca flour,
except to say that many people have suggested to me to use corn starch
as a substitute - but I can't say whether or not this would work in a
bread recipe.

For your question about whether or not you can have egg whites being
allergic to eggs?  I have always been told an emphatic NO to the same
question.  I'll use the most recent example of when I inquired about
getting a flu shot - part of the serum is egg-white based and I was told
that this is completely off limits to someone who is allergic to eggs.

-----------------------

My mother was allergic to the yolks of eggs, but could eat the whites;
most allergies are to proteins.

------------------------------------

can you have goat's milk even tho you can't have cow's milk???/  I used
to drink the goats milk before I knew I was a celiac, and I would have
stomach problems....so I would have that.  It is very rich, but you
might be able to use it for cooking.

--------------------------

My 7 year-old son is on a very restricted diet so I make all of his
food; I own Bette Hagman's books and about 10 other ones.He can't have
gluten/casein/soy/egg/yeast/ sugar/chocolate.it's a never-ending list it
seems.  When one of her recipes calls for 1 cup buttermilk, I use one
tablespoon lemon juice and enough Darifree or rice milk to equal 3/4
cup.  When she calls for buttermilk powder, I use Darifree powder.  When
replacing eggs with egg replacer, I usually double (at least) the amount
of powder I should use according to the box.  I try to substitute rice
milk instead of Darifree as often as I can; it seems to have more
protein or something that helps with binding.  I use the featherlight
flour mixture to bake with most of the time, but I make it with brown
rice flour and that helps some too.  I've made a lot of doorstops in
this endeavor, but usually the reason my bread shrivels or falls is
because it's not done yet.  I have to bake most of the recipes 10-15
minutes longer than she recommends.  Do you own Carol Fenster's book
Special Diet Solutions?  Everything I have made from her book turns out
great the first time.  She always gives alternatives to eggs and refined
sugar and many other ingredients.  My son is allergic to the egg white
and the yolk; I guess you could use all whites if that's not the case
with you.

---------------------------

 I don't think the tapioca flour is the cause of the bread falling apart
(the bread was perfect in that respect, just wanted to know about
tapioca for a friend) - it is probably the lack of eggs.  Eggs act as a
binder and as a leavener.  Tapioca flour gives a baked product a little
"chew".  If you are allergic to eggs, you might be allergic to the yolk,
the white or both.  My husband and son were tested for food allergies
and eggs were treated as two tests.  Unfortunately, they were both
allergic to both parts of the eggs.

Usually the whites are the more allergenic of the white and yolk. (Since
I got terribly sick when I had the flu shot in the 70's, I probably
should not have the whiles, either.)

Thank you, one and all for these ideas.  I am using the Darifree with
the lemon juice, more egg replacer and baking the bread longer.  Took
the second loaf out about two hours ago.  Success!

Ginger