From:
Michael Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:53:32 -0800

I would like to respond to the questions posed by Nancy Haehl in her message
dated January 23 concerning celiac biopsy work ordered through Prometheus
Laboratories.

In addition to our specialized GI serology testing (including Celiac),
Prometheus Laboratories provides a unique opportunity for
gastroenterologists to send their biopsies for evaluation by GI
pathology experts.  In order to provide this service, we have contracted
with 3 leading GI pathology centers, Mt. Sinai Medical Center in NY,
Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, and GI Pathology Partners in
Memphis, TN.

The pathology teams at these centers are led by well-known pathology experts
whose sole purpose is to diagnose GI specimens including those for celiac
disease.  All of these experts have years of experience in diagnosing all
types of GI diseases through microscopic analysis.  Their expertise differs
from the conventional pathologist in that they only work on GI specimens and
are continually studying gastroenterology diseases.  Thus, they have more
in-depth understanding of the diseases and are able to diagnose more
difficult cases.  They also have perfected specimen preparation techniques
in their laboratories which assist in their microscopic evaluation for a
more concise diagnosis.

Our service allows a physician to choose any of the three "centers of
excellence" for biopsy evaluation.  Requesting physicians also have the
option of speaking directly with these experts to discuss any questions they
may have about a patient's diagnosis.

I hope this answers the questions concerning our unique GI pathology
services.  If anyone has any additional questions, please contact us at our
toll free number, 888-423-5227.

Sherri' L. Heffner
Associate Product Manager/Anatomical Pathology
Prometheus
5739 Pacific Center Blvd.
San Diego, CA  92121
858-587-4127