From:
J & C White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 08:01:19 -0800

I would like to try and summarize the responses to shingles.  I got so
many replies.

Most people say that the shingles are on one side of the body and they
hurt more than itch.  The pain seems to be the biggest distinuishing
feature, the shingles are extremely painful.  Usually the DH rash is on
both sides of the body, knees, elbows, back. buttocks. It itches alot,
that seemed to be the distinguishing feature between the two.  From the
pictures I have seen of both, they look very similar.

The drug, Acyclivor seemed to be quite well tolerated by most people.
Whether it helps or not, they do not really know, it may stop the
spread.  Alot of people got the neuritis after recovering from the
shingles, they don't believe the drug can stop this from happening.
There were a few people who said they took the drug right away and no
problems.  The key is they took the drug right away.  If one does
nothing, who knows?

One person said the drug is very dangerous and diet should be used to
control the rash.

One person said taking l-Lysine would help, you can get it at the health
food store.  It is an amino acid.

The shingles are activated by the virus from chicken pox.  This virus
lays dormant in the spinal fluid untill something activates it and then
you get the shingles.  Most people think stress brings it on.

After all is said and done, I still am not sure, tho 2 doctors have told
me it is the shingles.  But then they never saw a DH rash.  I am still
on the Acyclivor, tho the rash is still spreading and after 5 days, I am
still getting new blisters.

Thank you all so much for your help and support,  its so nice to have
this list.  You are a great bunch!

Janet in Maine