From:
"Diane M. Craig" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 17:16:39 -0700

Hello everyone--

A big thank you for the 39 caring replies I received in answer to my
request for yeast infection remedies.  No two responses were identical,
but there was lots of overlap.  I've summarized all the good ideas below,
by (1) general preventive/maintenance measures, (2) foods, (3) over the
counter remedies,  (4) prescription remedies, (5) how to deal with HMO,
(6) books.  Number of respondents is shown for each.  I'm sharing a brief
personal comment at the end.  Thank you all!  --Diane in CA

General measures:
Cotton underwear (2)
Shower, don't bathe (1)
Crotchless pantyhose, or avoid them altogether (2)
Frequent intercourse (1)  (I like this one)
Whatever you do, treat hubby at the same time (3)
No oral contraceptives (1)
Use KY jelly during treatment (1) (a 2nd response re birth control
method)
Wash, dry area with hair dryer on low (1)
Vinegar and water douche (3)
Vinegar and water douche specifics:  once/day, 1 Tbsp vinegar to 1 quart
water (1)
Vinegar and water douche specifics:  days 1,4,8, then every 7 days for 1
month, then just before and after periods, plus 3 days after period if
itch, for 6 months (1)
Vinegar sitz bath (1)
Men have problems with yeast infections too (1)

Foods:
No sugars (11)
No sugars also means no dairy (1)
No sugars also means no dried fruit (1)
No sugars also means no fruit (1)
No sugars also means no fruit juices (2)
No yeast (2)
No acidic foods (1)
Yes cranberry juice (1)
Yes yogurt (2)
Yes increase salt a little (1) - salt retards yeast in baking
Yes garlic (7)
Garlic specific brands: Kyolic (3)
Yes camomile tea (1)
Yes pau d'arco (3)
Yes echinacea (1)
Yes lots of water (1)
Limit carbohydrates (2)

Over-the-counter:
Allergic reaction to Monistat (1)
Acidolphilus (11)
Acidolphilus specifics: 30 billion units/day for 1 week, then 12
billion/day 1 week, then 4 billion/day (1)
Acidolphilus specific brands: Great Earth Ultra Duo Dolphilous (1),
Probiotic (1), Continental liquid acidolphilus (1)
American Biologics' Dioxychlor 1-800-227-4473
Colloidal Silver (2) (1-no direct experience; 1-direct experience)
Biotin 300 mg/day (1)
Vitamin C 2000-5000 mg/day (1)
Multivitamin with extra B vitamins and Vitamin C 2000-5000 mg/day (1)
Alfalfa (1)
FOS (a sweetener that feeds the good bacteria not the bad ones) (2)
Fatty acids (omegas 3 & 6, cold water fish, flax seed oils, hemp seed
oils) (1)
Oil of Oregano and Oregano Max Capsulres (anti-fungus and parasite)
1-800-243-5243 (1)
Melaleuca's Nature's Cleanser (dilute and as a douche or apply externally
with cotton ball) (1)
Tea tree oil applied externally with vitamin E oil; internally on a
tampon (1)
Insert boric acid capsules into the vagina (2). Boric acid comments:
boric acid is gentle enough to use as an eyewash and in this way.  Ask
your doctor about this.  Do this with no sugars in diet and no sex, for 3
nights, skip a night, then repeat.
Caprylic acid (1)
Apply acidolphilus directly to the problem (2)
Apply yogurt directly to the problem (2)
Canestin cream (cannot verify if GF) (1)
Canesten cream not working (1)
Trenev Trio (proprietary oil matrix form)-Tatren, and SF722 Thorne
Research formula (one is for parasites, one is for yeast) (1)
Flax seed powder carries yeast from the body (1) - Ligna Flax from
Probiologic
Homeopathic liquid Aqua Phase A 1 month; maintenance dose Aqua Phase B
1-800-326-0256 or 888-940-0589 (1)
Homeopathic tincture for candida albicans (1)
Nature's Sunshine Flora Force (1)
Nutrition Now's Yeast Defense (or a similar one by Twinlab) (1)
Grapefruit seed extract (those 3 exact words) (3)
Grapefruit seed extract specifics:  Nutribiotics (wheat-free, not sure if
GF), 2 per day of 100mg strength each, or more when bad (1); a few drops
in warm water (it's bitter) followed by more water AND no acidolphilus
because this one kills all the microbes and bacteria and yeast; add
acidolphilus afterwards (1).

Prescription:
Oral nystatin (liquid I think) (3) (1 of these said it was horrible)(1
hadn't checked GF status)
Nystatin tablets (1)
Nystatin powder taken orally (1)
Diflucan (5)
Diflucan observation (1): less and less effective with multiple use
Nizoral pills (2)
Terazol 3 (3)
Maximum strength Vagisil (1) - for 3 nights

HMO:
Doctor and patient worked around HMO's limitations on number and amount
of drugs by prescribing lower dosage (1)
Get prescription filled elsewhere (1)
"You can still get anything in the world done if you are willing to pay
for the extra services yourself"  (1) (amen)
"You, as a celiac, should be exempt from your HMO's formulary." (1)

Books:
Yeast Control in 7 Days, Dr. D'Onofrio (1)
Yeast Connection by Dr. Crook (2)
Yeast Connection Cookbook by Dr. Crook (1)
Yeast Syndrome by Dr. Trowbridge (1)
The Missing Diagnosis by Dr. Truss
Prescription for Nutritional Healing

Me:
I did get my non-HMO alternative doctor to prescribe an initial supply of
oral nystatin powder and paid for it myself.  Ten days later, after
several phone calls back and forth, the HMO managed to get me some more.
I was told by the HMO that they could not find a dye-free gluten-free
form of Diflucan.  Since the nystatin holds down my yeast, but my
slightest deviation from the 4 times/day regimen brings the yeast back
with a vengeance even after 6 weeks, I did my own research and found a
dye-free version of Diflucan.  (Note that my extreme sensitivity to red
dye #40 is not a gluten problem; I am simply a unique and wonderful
individual).  The HMO agreed to reimburse me for this; it's now on order.
 I also have started taking some GF Chinese herbs (Phellostatin). I so
very much appreciate all the additional suggestions that I can use
concurrent with and following the prescription regimen.  I haven't
summarized the horror stories 39 wonderful people shared with me, but
believe me, I sympathize with you all.  Thanks for being there!  --Diane
in CA