From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 22:56:58 -0800

No discussion of Fosamax, a bisphosphate drug, is complete w/o mentioning the possible down side of using drugs in this class.

My dentist was the first to alert me to the possible side effects of bisphophonate drugs.  The side effects are so serious, I've decided not to risk them for the prevention of bone loss, but only as a last ditch effort to save me from a life threatening condition such as metastatic bone cancer or extreme hypercalcemia, etc.  For prevention or treatment of osteoporosis, I will only use bio-identical hormones, diet, exercise & dietary supplements.

What bisphosphonate drugs do is block the normal bone remodeling cycle, permanently.  So if bones treated with these drugs are injured or broken in the future, they may never heal properly.  A minor dental procedure such as a tooth extraction can result in bone necrosis (bone death) with a painful open wound in the mouth & a deteriorating jaw.  Most of the cases of bone necrosis have been associated with high dose intravenous bisphophonate treatments, but be aware that there have been several cases following low dose oral administration of the more common drugs such as Fosamax & Actonel.

There's lots of information both pros & cons about bisphosphonates on line.  To read about this, do a Google search for <bone necrosis + bisphosphonates>.  I suggest a thorough read before deciding to take a drug that can permanently alter a normal biological function.

Valerie, retired RN in Tacoma

(Please don't write me asking if this or that drug is a bisphosphonate.  You can find the answer to that question on line.)