From:
Mike Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2011 05:03:41 -0500

From Eileen Wuebker [[log in to unmask]]

FOR MOTION SICKNESS:
1. Ginger, ginger tea
2. Ginger root capsules 500 mg. one tablet about 3 times per day.
3. Dramamine
4. Driving the car is a great way to avoid motion sickness.  Sitting in the
front passenger seat, never looking down--looking ahead at the road--is
second best.
5. Google "vestibular problems" to understand the triggers for the problem.
6. Sea Bands.  Can be found in the pharmacy stores such as Walgreen, etc.
right in the area where you find the dramamine pills for motion sickness.
It is a little elastic like band you wear on the wrists.  It has a button on
the inside which presses on a certain accupressure point in the wrist.  Put
the sea bands on as soon as you begin to travel & leave them on until
finished traveling or finished the motion.  Instructions on how to wear the
bands are in the package. They work great.  I keep them in both our cars all
the time & also keep a pair for my daughter who also has motion sickness.
http://www.sea-band.com/seaband.htm
7. There's a great ginger pill I use from Enzymatic called Gingerall, I use
them when I go for long rides or just when I don't fell well.  You can buy
them from Total Health Discount Vitamins, sometimes they have free
shipping....I know they will help.
8. I have always had problems with motion sickness, but was an adult onset
Celiac as of 15 years ago.  I find that I have trouble differentiating
between dizzy and queasy stomach.  The drug Meclizine, or Antivert by
prescription, or Dramamine in the lavender pack, all help with the
dizziness.  I've been tested for inner ear problems but none were found,
never the less I suffer from dizzy/queasy feelings.  If the Dramamine helps
your daughter as much as it helps me, it just plain is not part of the
Celiac cycle.  I find that in addition to motion, I also respond with
dizziness to large changes in the barometric pressure, usually a high or low
pressure system moving in or moving out.  Some affect me more than others,
and I am still trying to figure out why, but there is a starting point for
you to work from.  By the way, the Dramamine in the yellow and orange
package is good for nausea.
9. I started taking a multi-mineral and a low dose of zinc and it took my
motion sickness completely away.

OTHER COMMENTS:
1.   Possibly a secondary auto-immune disorder, i.e. crohn's, auto-immune
hepatitis.
2.   Possible allergy or intolerance, i.e. lactose, soy, nut, msg, lamb,
tomatoes, dill, other grains, corriander, cumin, and other food allergies
3.   When she started the GF diet did she give up dairy products also?  This
is a must when starting the diet, because many people will be Lactose or
Casein intolerant.  She must stay away from dairy for 6 weeks before
reintroducing dairy to her system.  Eat or drink some, then watch for 4 days
to see if she reacts. Dairy products will have the same symptoms as gluten
to the body.  Bloating, headaches, sinus infections.
4.   Consider whether the kitchen is gluten free as a mixed kitchen could
lead to cross contamination.  Consider not only crumbs but also wheat
residue on everything from the doorknobs to the remote control.
5.   Does the diet include a lot of bought gluten free grain foods?  Most
ALL of those products have some amount of gluten in them.  From medium
exposure to very bad.  You might try limiting those to just a few products
or making her a few treats yourself.  IF you are using any Bob's Red Mill
Products they are all cross contaminated and there are a lot of us that
cannot tolerate any of their products.  I suggest Sorghum flour from Twin
Valley Mills, EnerG brand Xanthan gum, potato starch & tapioca starch.  I
also order coconut flour online...  For no cross contamination I recommend
Lundberg Rice cakes, (Quaker brand ones are NOT GF despite what they say...)
Lundberg Rice chips - sea salt flavor, Kettle Potato Chips sea salt flavor,
Mission Brand White Corn Tortillas.
6.   My son also had headaches from celiac disease. They started to subside
after two months gluten free but then came back again. We discovered he had
developed a corn allergy which is attributed to your intestine healing and
now absorbing the full strength of foods that it never could before. Anyway,
he had to stop eating corn for a full year and then reintroduced it and the
problem had passed.
7.   After going gluten free, symptoms of motion sickness, upset stomach,
and severe headaches gradually resolved with time and healing.
8.   I read that the motion sickness and headache were connected/related.  I
often noticed the motion sickness came on first & then the headache.  So if
I treated the motion sickness right away at the first sign, then the
headache would not come on.
9.  It took me a long time to distinguish the feelings from stomach versus
intestine.  For me, probiotics and digestive enzyme pills assist in
digestion for both areas!  They work well.
10. Time is the best healer. 6 months is not very long to heal.
11. This is just me, but I don't get headaches unless I've ingested gluten.
12. Two things to watch for when you're new to the diet that can cause those
symptoms are getting incomplete nutrition and eating too many GF replacement
foods. First, GF replacement breads and pastas are typically made mostly of
rice, corn, tapioca, and potato flours, among others.  These, especially
rice, are extremely high glycemic index foods.  White rice flour actually
raises your blood sugar more than eating granulated sugar and causes just as
bad a crash.  Eating a lot of high glycemic index foods can easily cause
headaches and stomach issues, not to mention long term issues like diabetes.
Try staying away from these foods and having her eat more unprocessed
vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. Second, GF replacement foods are
usually not fortified like mainstream cereals and breads.  This means it can
be easy to miss vital nutrients when making the big diet change.  Eating a
variety of naturally GF foods will help this, so will a daily multivitamin.
13. Start a food journal and see if there is any pattern of eating something
and it bringing on a headache or upset stomach within 24 hours.  Talk to a
dietitian once you have a few weeks recorded.  Many GI doctors recommend
this for anyone making a large diet change like going gluten free.
14. I know what it's like when a doctor is at a loss and doesn't know what
else to do. I think you should find a doctor who is more knowledgeable and
willing to look for other causes. I have been gluten-free since 08-08 (I am
paranoid and really ensure I am not glutened as much as I possibly can
living in a house that still eats gluten). When I wasn't getting better, I
was diagnosed with bacterial overgrowth in 08-09. I'm still struggling, and
now my stomach is actually hurting and gurgling loudly, plus I've been
burping a lot more. I don't have my typical bacterial overgrowth symptoms,
and we don't know what's wrong. I'd look for another doctor, but I would
also consider that -- as a pre-teen -- she may be exposing herself to hidden
gluten and is not aware of it. That is always a possibility. But if you can
rule that out, then find another doctor.
15. We had the same problem on a much higher scale.  It turns out my son has
too much acid in his stomach which would go up the esophogus and cause GI
acid reflux.  He is on something to control acid and it really, really
helps.  He's almost back to normal.  Something to think about.
16. Are you also dairy free?  Did the doctor discuss the probability of
problems with dairy until the celia heal in the small intestine?  If not, I
would ask about this or research it for myself.  If you decide to go dairy
free, you need to do so under the care of a physician due to the need to
monitor Calcium, Vitamin D, etc.
17. I just read an article on www.theDr.com about new gs testing and
specifically read the one about this Array 4 test for cross reactive foods.
(foods that mimic gluten) maybe your child is reacting to something else.
Here is an excerpt - sorry it's so long but will save you the trouble.....