From:
Vickie Puffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 08:51:52 -0500

Well hush my mouth and call me Slappy!  I feel like a total doofus!
According to about 75% of the people who responded to my recent post,
gluten-sensitive enteropathy (which is what my internist says I have) and
celiac disease are the same thing.  DUH!

I haven't had a formal diagnosis and probably won't go to the trouble of
getting one unless I start feeling bad again.  In early 1997, after several
months of stomach distress, the internist referred me to a
gastroenterologist who had me try various meds that didn't work.  My
symptoms included a rolling, acidic, gassy stomach and bowels, bloating,
discomfort, plus occasional foul-smelling stool (sorry, gross).  In Feb
1997 he did an EGD to check for ulcers/cancer and found only a few "red
streaks" in my stomach.  We tried more meds but he never suggested CD.  I
might mention that I'm also obese and did not have chronic diarrhea, which
I gather is atypical of a person with celiac.

I was dealing with another medical problem at the time (severe plantar
fasciitis in both of my feet) and ended up having surgery for that in June
1997, so I just gave up on doctoring the stomach problem for a while.  In
July 1997 I noticed a connection to wheat and thought I might have an
allergy--my dad is allergic to wheat, among other things--and so I tried to
avoid all obvious wheat products.  I called the gastro's office but they
said I wouldn't be able to get in for a month and that I should see my
internist instead.

I saw the internist and gave him all the details and that's when he
"diagnosed" me with GSE.  He immediately referred me to a dietitian who
explained the gluten-free diet and I've been on it ever since.  I did make
an appointment with the gastro to make sure everything was being done as it
should be, and he got rather snippy (I think because another doctor had
been involved, and because I had a lot of information that I'd gotten from
this list) and, in a nut shell, he dismissed me rather curtly.  Jerk!
Informed patients can be so threatening!  8-)

Anyway, I've been observing a gluten-free diet since August 1997 and feel
much better.  I haven't had a full-blown "squid" (my affectionate term for
a gluten reaction) for some time.  I have to say, though, that it feels
different, somehow, thinking that I have something referred to as a
"disease" vs. a simple "condition."  I think you probably know what I mean.

Best wishes to all.  Sorry this is so long and rambly.

Vickie P in SW Indiana