From:
Midge Sadowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 11:56:02 EST

I have been a silent member of this website for three years.  Your info has
helped my son live a quality life since his diagnosis as a celiac in 1997
when he was a senior in college, age 21.  We, too, did not know of celiac
disease before his diagnosis and have come a long way since 1997.  My son
deserves all the credit for his healthy status today and believe me, as you
all know, it was not easy--trial and error for many months.  My reason for
writing is to suggest to you all one cookbook that I have considered my
Bible.  It's "The Joy of Cooking".  My mother had given me this book when I
got married almost 28 years ago and I had little use for it because I found
it too hard to follow.  But I read that the latest edition included
gluten-free bread recipes and this edition has been my right hand.  It is an
encyclopedia for ingredients and this is extremely important when deciding if
a spice or sauce can be hurtful to the system.  My newer book looks like I've
been using it for 28 years!!  Also, my kids had given me a subscription to
Bon Appetit and I find their recipes work well with our restricted diet.  I
never liked to cook and my spice shelf consisted of salt and pepper!  If you
could see me now in how much I enjoy preparing food and my panty door that
houses every kind of spice and herb!  Most importantly, my son is healthy.  I
have no affiliation with either publication, I just wanted to pass along what
I have found to be great sources for healthy eating our way.  Thanks for
listening.

Midge