From:
Charlotte Ward-Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 18:18:26 -0000

I was diagnosed with autoimmune HYPOthyroidism 8 months ago. I now seem
to be HYPERthyroid (on no thyroxine) and wonder if anyone else has
experienced this or has useful information on this unusual course of
events.

My hypothyroidism was rapid in onset and quite acute (TSH: 110).  Since
then my GP has been trying to find the right dose. Over the summer I was
hyperthyroid on 100mg so this was gradually reduced until I was only
taking 25mg every other day - a negligible amount.  I felt well at this
point (August) but since my TSH was still undetectable I stopped all
thyroxine. Today my TSH is still not detectable after 6 weeks with no
thyroxine.  My GP is perplexed  and I will be tested again in a month.
This progression is not normal and I cannot find any information on it
in the usual very good thyroid sources. Could my coeliac/gluten free
status be implicated in this unusual turnaround?  While I should be glad
my thyroid has made a 'miraculous' recovery I know hyperthyroidism is
potentially much harder to treat. (There are both kinds of thyroidism in
my family in my family incidentally).

If anyone can shed any light on this or recommend a book with such
information I would be grateful.

Charlotte Ward-Perkins
Oxford, UK