From:
"J. Rackley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 08:44:48 -0700

These pancakes are delicious!  I have made them a number of times
and have had excellent results, even with slight recipe variations.

Made thin, the pancakes have a consistency much like crepes, and can
be rolled around jam or a fruit filling.  Made thicker, they have
a slightly sweet nutty flavor, and are delicious with syrup or
just eaten plain.

This recipe makes a huge batch of dry mix which you can store in
your cupboard and use as needed. This also makes a great base for
fruit breads -- you add the fruit, and a little more sugar, and mix
in fruit bread consistency.  I made it into banana bread easily.

Depending on how you make it, these can be rice-free, corn-free,
egg-free, and dairy-free.  You may also be able to eliminate some
of the flours if you don't eat all of those.  Just pick a flour of
your choice, substitute it, and see how it works.  I have made
about four or five batches with different flours and these are the
best so far.

Good luck with these.  Let me know your results!

Jenny Rackley
Woodinville, WA, USA
jrackley@ foxinternet.net

*****

Alternative Flour Pancakes

2 cups millet or rice flour
2 cups amaranth flour
1-1/2 cup corn starch or potato starch
1 cup soy flour
1 cup mung bean (gram) or soy flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 T + 1 t baking powder
1 t salt

1 T Egg replacer (or add an egg when mixing up dry batter)
2 cups Better-Than-Milk powder or dry milk or milk substitute powder
   (or ADD milk/milk substitute instead of water when mixing up
     dry batter)

To mix, add water (or egg and milk if you didn't add these in
advance).  Batter should be slightly on the thin side.  If it is
too thin these will turn out like crepes.  You can experiment to
find out how much batter is good for each batch in your family.
I usually just pour some into a bowl and then add water to the right
consistency, and if I need more batter, I make more...

To cook, use a 1/4-1/3 cup measuring cup and scoop individual pancakes
into a skillet sprayed with cooking spray or lightly oiled.

*****

Fruit Bread

4 cups pancake mix
2/3 cup sugar
5 small ripe bananas (about two cups)
  or 1 cup applesauce and 1 cup diced apples
2/3 cup water

Mix ingredients and cook in a preheated 350 degree oven until done.
(45 minutes or so)  Bread is done when a knife inserted into the
middle comes out clean.