Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2008 04:40:18 -0800

I am looking for a low-carb flour to mix with my almond and hazelnut flours to improve their texture. My definition of low-carb is less than 10g carbs per serving and no more than 2g sugar per serving. I was using soy flour, but I am now having problems with soy. Below are the suggestions I received.

Coconut flour – A lot of people suggested this saying that even though it is high in carbs, it is also high in fiber. However, even taking that into consideration, coconut flour still has 26.3g net carbs (total carb count minus total fiber count), 8.7g of that being sugar (according to one website that sells it). Other people may be able to handle this but I cannot.

Almond flour – One person said to just use this alone. Well, I can and do on occasion, but the texture of it makes it not work for some things such as waffles.

Quinoa flour – This flour is reportedly low on the glycemic index. However, I haven’t been able to find any consistent information on the net carbs (depending on the website, between 17 and 26g net carbs).

Buckwheat flour – 17g net carbs (no sugars) according to Bob’s Red Mill.

Soy flour (for comparison) – 5g net carbs (2g sugars)

Angela Taylor