From:
Bonnie Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:50:01 -0700

Christian Gassler wrote:

>I've been milling my own flours in a very sturdy german made mill.
>It takes almost everything, but remember the following caveats:
>
>Never ever mill tapioca granules! Your mill will be messed up and
>will need being taken apart in order to clean the stones - big mess !!!

I have a Magic Mill III impact grinder and I have milled tapioca pearls
without any problem on numerous occasions.  If you want to try milling
tapioca in this type of mill you do not need to be concerned about damaging
the mill as long as you live in a dry climate.  I have noticed that tapioca
pearls tend to clump in humid weather.  The moisture that they pick up
could be a problem in almost any type of mill.   I have currently given up
milling my own tapioca flour because I have found that I can buy the
tapioca starch at an asian grocery as cheaply as I can buy the tapioca
pearls and the commercial tapioca starch is finer than I can grind.

Bonnie Tyler
Bozeman, MT