Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:44:51 -0500

(Bloody line limit. I'll try one more time. This is 1/3, then 2/3, then
the one labeled 2/2 is actually 3/3)

Thanks everyone for your responses. There was so much useful information
in them that I copied chunks from each and every email and have included
them below. This makes the email quite LONG. Sorry. Also, I didn't put
down people's names or email addresses, deciding people might prefer
privacy over proper MLA citations. =)

So I think I'm going to probably try the probiotics, l-glutamine
supplements, and see about not using olive oil. Just out of curiosity,
what oils are especially safe for cooking for Celiacs? How about peanut?

Here's the summary:

***
YOu need to do 2 things.  First of all, to handle gluten reactions, go
to a health food store and get the homeopathic remedy VERATRUM ALB 30C
and take 2 pills under the tongue..it will stop gluten reactions cold.
My md told me to take it.

Next, you need to build your gut....celiac has wiped out all the villi
in small intestine.....results in malabsorption and lactose intolerance.
If you just do a gf diet, it will take 5 years to heal the gut.  but if
you use the formula, it will heal is just 4 or 5 months.  Just take one
l-glutamione capsule and one prbiotics complex with each meal,,,,u wirjs!!!

**
I have experienced similar problems - it doesn't seem to matter what I
eliminate from my diet, the symptoms return after a week or so..... I have
been doing some research on various autoimmune diseases, thinking I had
something else, not celiac. I have never actually been diagnosed with
anything in particular. It seems that many autoimmune diseases share similar
low level symptoms such as joint pain, muscle pain, low grade fever, etc. I
am beginning to think I have something else, probably crohns.

**
You didn't say if the rice is enriched.     You might search the list
for the latest infomation.
A few years ago there was a discussion about how the rice is enriched.
  In the process the rice goes threw a barley rince or something like
that.    I did have a reaction once, and I thought it was the enriched
rice.  I don't use enriched rice.

**
(this person suggested that flour dust in the air and gluten on her
husband's lips were causing her reactions--email was long, didn't want
to include the whole thing)

ALSO, tho, some of us (there is a small minority like this), have
ongoing food sensitivity issues after going gf.  I think this is due to
damage in the gut and that we still have some undigested food after
going gf because of intestinal damage.  Then the immune system begins
attacking when you eat that food, because it now sees that food (like
gluten before it) is not digested and is showing up in places it should
not be due to leaky gut syndrome.

I ended up having to pare my diet down to meats and mooshed up salad
greens for about 2 years.  I just had problems eating everything but
that.  This happened 2 years after going gf, and like you, I kept
deleting things and would be fine and then would get ill again and each
time it would seem to be caused by a new food.  I am now able to add
some of those foods back that I couldn't eat before, but I still have to
eat them sparingly.  One of the best things to do if this is your
problem, is to eat all foods infrequently--in other words, eat such a
varied diet that you do not have any food more than once every 5 days.
This will help you see if there is a bad intolerance that you have not
taken care of.  If you react alot to some foods, you may need to
eliminate them altogether for awhile. Also, pancreatic enzymes may be
needed or a pancreas glandular (to help digest your other foods) and
check to see if your stomach acid balance is correct for the same
reason.  Another help would be to add back well cultured, fresh homemade
yogurt for the probiotic properties.  Even tho you are lactose
intolerant, it is likely you can eat very fresh yogurt because fresh
yogurt actually has bacteria that digest the lactose for you.  At any
rate, good bacteria need to be added to your system to help your
bacterial, etc, balance in your gut--of which your very bad intolerance
to dairy is a sure sign.

Also, you could just ask the cook at school to rewash your fruits and
veggies with Dawn dishwashing liquid.  That is what I use (of course, he
will need to rinse very thoroughly afterwards.)  If that helps, then you
will know for sure it is the "Victory" product that is bothering you.

**
I am not familiar with Victory, but would like to comment on your
situation. A friend in my celiac support group was telling us that she
has recurring problems due to microscopic colitis, so it is possible
something else is going on. However, my suggestion based on what I have
read and heard is to take a probiotic daily. It's amazing how long it
takes the bad bacteria to go away and for your gut to heal. I am gluten
free for 18 months now and limit dairy and sugar (due to candida issues
also caused by celiac), but still have some issues occasionally. Per my
doctor, my gut is still healing. I take the probiotic, Primal Defense.
It is a tremendous help. It puts good bacteria/flora in your system.
It's a Garden of Life product, developed by Jordan Rubin. He had Crohn's
disease and healed himself with his probiotic and green food products.
Primal Defense can be purchased at places like The Vitamin Shoppe. It is
expensive for a bottle, but lasts a long time. I started out with 3 a
day and now am down to one a day. So whatever is causing your problem,
whether it be just the healing that comes naturally after removing these
things from one's diet or something else like colitis or Crohn's
disease, the Primal Defense might head it off and solve your problems.
"Google" Jordan Rubin and The Garden of Life products to find out more.

**
There is a new test out from Prometheus Labs that tests for the genes
for celiac.  They are DQ-2 and DQ-8.
You can request that your gastro test you for these genes.  If you don't
have these genes, you can never have celiac.
If you don't have celiac, you could have something else and should be
tested for other things.  I am not a medical person, but I believe you
can find out more about this test at the Prometheus Lab website.

(continued in next email)