From:
Jerri Pike <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 11:40:00 EDT

Dear List:

I am new to the list. I'm not sure if this type of email is okay, I hope so..
 I was diagnosed with Mal-absorbtion Syndrome, Non-tropical Sprue in Dec
1965. Since then, I was diagnosed with other allergies like, eggs, and sugar<--
yes, that's right, sugar... Just before Christmas, with a pound of Sees on my
table...
The first couple of years were the worst. I was embarassed, I felt like a
freak, ordering a hamburger without the bun, etc., but it was better than the
awful symptoms that I had been plagued with for years and years. I had been a
girl of 13, weighing 114, and standing 5' 5'' - I lost down to 85 lbs, and I was
a mess. It took several years being hospitalized with acute Sinus attacks,
ulcers, etc, and Drs. thinking I was a hypochrondriac.  Finally, a Radioalogist
seen on an xray, that something was wrong. I was 17 with a small intestine the
size of a 2 yr olds.  I am now 55. For the last few years, I feel better than
I ever have. I don't feel embarassed, I don't miss anything. I have my piece
of Rice toast every morning with fruit, etc.

What I would like to know is - I don't see Sprue being used much anymore. Is
Sprue the same as Celiac? Years ago, I read that Celiac is when you are born
with it, and Sprue is when the onset is when we are older.  Is that still the
same?  I tried to find the lists archives, but I didn't see them, or how to
access them.
Thank you for enduring my long message..
I appreciate the site, and reading all of your messages.
:), Jerri