Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 09:19:27 +0100

Re: Jim Barron's post that the FDA is not concerned about specialized
health needs.

Dear Jim: I should think if a person has made up their mind that there
is no possible way to "fix" the FDA labeling problem, you have already
convinced yourself of the hopelessness of trying. Although I know the
FDA is a huge bureaucracy, and major changes come slowly, and sometimes
need to be fought in court~I am not at all ready to throw in the towel.
The recent labeling law changes are to me a ray of hope that changes for
the better can & have been made, I view it as a first step in the right
direction. They just stopped short of upgrading the "fine print" portion
of labeling & full disclosure.
        We owe it to ourselves & future Celiacs to try. Matter of fact, I think
it is more important than exchanging recipies on this Internet medium.
Enclosed is a website address on how to petition the FDA.

Making Your Voice Heard at FDA:
How to Comment on Proposed Regulations and Submit Petitions

BG 96-2, January 19, 1996

As a regulatory agency, FDA publishes rules that establish or modify the way
it regulates foods, drugs, biologics, cosmetics, radiation-emitting
electronic products, and medical devices--commodities close to the daily
lives of all Americans.  FDA rules have considerable impact on the nation's
health, industries and economy.  These rules are not created arbitrarily or
in a vacuum.  They are formed with the public's help.

By law, anyone can participate in the rule-making process by commenting in
writing on rules FDA proposes.  FDA allows plenty of time for public input
and carefully considers these comments when it draws up a final rule.

FDA gathers public comments mainly through two channels: proposed rules
and petitions.
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/comment.txt

~~~You won't get what you need if you don't ask for it~~~ Fran/Oregon