From:
"Robert F. Eyerman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 18:01:56 -0400

Dear  Group Members, I know that the drug Propulsid has been mentioned
numerous times on this list.  It is prescribed for heartburn and acid
reflux.  There was an article from the Assoc. Press in my local paper
yesterday and I would like to pass it along to all.  "The govt. urged
doctors Monday to prescribe heartburn patients every reasonable alternative
before trying the drug Propulsid, issuing new warnings that it may cause
servious heart problems.  The FDA strengthened warnings on Propulsid's
label after reports of heart rhythm abnormalities, including 38 deaths
since the pill hit the market in 1993.  The FDA noted that it cannot prove
the drug caused any deaths, but said Propulsid-approved specifically for
nighttime heartburn-already was known to cause heart arrhythmias when taken
together with certain other medicines.  Monday's action strengthens those
warnings, adding newly discovered drug interactions and a list of other
illnesses that increase the risk."  I don't want to alarm anyone,just
inform them that they may want to check with their doctor about this.
PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT POST ME ON THIS.  I AM NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.
DO NOT DISCONTINUE TAKING YOUR MEDICATION WITHOUT FIRST CONTACTING YOUR
DOCTOR.  I AM MERELY PASSING THIS INFORMATION FROM THE PAPER ALONG TO
INFORM YOU.  Karen from Central NY, USA