From:
Vinod Iyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:37:55 -0500

Hi -

 Some useful replies I got. Thanks to all who replied.

---

Dr. Rajat Chander on Six Forks Road is an excellent gastroenterologist who
diagnosed me very quickly.

---

If you're living GF already it's already too late for the tests to be valid.
False positives for those tests are common, from 20 to 50 percent, under
ideal circumstances: but once GF they not likely to turn up positive.

                    One alternative might be Dr. Fine who has another method
of testing that GI 20 docs seem to respect. Here is the URl for his website:
 http://www.finerhealth.com/

                    With encouragement and help from several others on
this list, I now send this letter to new members the first time I see
them post to the list asking for help...<snipped> (A common mail she
sends to all new subscribers)

---

IF you can get in in less than 2 months consider yourslef lucky - I waited
4.5 !  Top docs are William Heizer at UNC CHapel Hill and JOHn (Barry)
O'Connor at Duke

---

I don't have any particular doctor's name, but there are GI doctors at UNC
in Chapel Hill, who are VERY knowledgable in the area of CD! When we lived
in Durham and Hillsborough, this is where I ended up finding the best help.
Since most of their doctors are residents, you can usually get an
appointment quicker than at any other GI office. I chose them, when I had
the choice between two weeks and three months! Hope this helps! My ONLY
suggestion is, that you avoid seeing a first year resident, if at all
possible. One did a scope on me and left my throat all torn up and sore for
over a week!

---

Please see http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/8672/gfdoctrs.htm ,
a page I maintain for the Triangle Gluten-Free group. My gp is Richard
Forsythe, and the GI who did my biopsy is Lanny Newell.

---

If you don't want to wait 2 months, you could try Dr. Fine's stool testing.
Go to www.enterolab.com for details.  We used this, and found it to be very
helpful.  Plus it's non-invasive, relatively inexpensive (around $300
depending on what tests you have run), and you don't need a doctor's
appointment.

---

Hi Others have found you won't get a good test if your not eating gluten. I
would suggest you start eating gluten and wait for a least two months before
your teated if you want to know for sure.

---

I'm sure you've checked, but Duke has Dr. Baillie and UNC Dr. Heiser,
who are excellent but probably do have waiting lists... there is a
gastroenterologist in Cary named Michael Pike who offered to do my son's
biopsy and sounded knowlegeable; we already had an appt. at Duke but I
wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dr. Pike and he might have an earlier
opening.ph 469-1858. The Triangle support group coordinator is very
helpful- you can acess their web page through the main celiac
organization web site.

---

 Thanks,
 Vinod.