Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 16:37:38 -0700

Dear Celiac List

I'm back.

To remind you: just before last Christmas, my SO (significant other) was
told by his general practitioner to try not eating any gluten for a while.
(This after about 10 years of illness.) So, we did and SO got much, much
better. Biopsy was in the spring, following 2 weeks of a gluten challenge.
Biopsy results = negative.

As an aside, the bedside manner of the gastro guy was appalling. We didn't
go to a teaching hospital like many on this list suggested, the waiting
list was 6 to 8 months long. This gastro-guy had privileges at a large
hospital and was recommended as knowing his stuff by SO's general
practioner. The biopsy went off without a hitch and we awaited results.
Negative. Then the gastroenterologist showed us the door. No evidence of
cilia damage, that was the result and he (the gastro-guy) didn't want to
discuss it further.

So, we signed off this list and began eating bread again, the only new
thing we reintroduced into the gluten free diet. Oh, and the occasional sub
sandwich or trip to McDonalds which were forbidden when we were seriously
on the diet.

SO was sick within a week, then miserable within a month and we were right
back where we started from. So two weeks ago we went back on the diet.

There is already substantial improvement, so here I am back again, scouting
for recipes and support. We have the diet down pretty well, packing lunches
is still the biggest challenge.

Thanks in advance for all the support I know I can count on from this list.

Eileen J
in Surrey BC Canada -- City of Parks