From:
Gwynneth Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 21:55:20 -0500

Dear List Members,

 I sent this message to one member, but seeing Don Wiss's posting
prompted me to write this for everyone who may be interested:

Frontier Herbs makes an Asafoetida powder that uses rice flour.  I use
it in the Indian food I make at home.  I've never tried with the bean
situation, though.  The flavour of this herb/spice is remeniscent of
garlic and onions, with a celery undertone. (Asafoetida is related to
the carrot/parsley family.  The spice is made from the resin of the
plant's roots).

Episote, also mentioned in an earlier post as a way to remove gas from
beans, can be obtained through Frontier, too.  This herb is very
beneficial to the dietary tract, and is used to expel worms in folk
medicine.

Frontier's web site for a free catalog (nice things in there!)
http://www.frontiercoop.com

Enjoy,
Gwynneth