From:
Sherain Veale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 11:20:16 +0200

Since I have joined this group I have realized that there are different
types of celiacs.  Those who have a wild reaction to gluten, whether it be
in the air as one walks past a bakery or in the soil that buckwheat is
planted in or in shampoo and those who just have a problem when gluten is
ingested.

I fall into the second category.  This post is for the celiacs like me.  I
read in the "Gluten Free Guide for Southern Africa" by Carole Smollan that
malt extract is gluten free.  I quote from here on "Malt extract is obtained
from malted barley using a process where only water soluble products appear
in the final extract.  As gluten is insoluble in water, the resulting malt
is gluten-free."

What is your opinion on the above - this makes rice crispees and corn flakes
gluten free as they are made with malt extract and not malt itself.

From
Sherain