Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 08:36:40 -0700

I agree that Osteoporosis can be a problem with a lot of Celiacs.  We are
foolish if we do not check it out--just like we check out the products to be
free of gluten.  If the malabsorption caused you to not get the calcium your
body needs, etc., that can be a result.  I had a bone density test about 5
years ago--long before I was diagnosed with Celiac.  I just happened to have
a doctor that believes in checking for bone density.  The test is absolutely
harmless.  You do not even have to undress!!  You lay on a table and a
machine moves over the top of you without touching you.  The only bad part is
the bill--but that isn't as bad as ignoring the results--the bill isn't that
bad.  When my density test was reviewed, I was like an elderly woman--way off
the chart.  I was in my late 40's.  That was the point I was placed on
replacement hormones and 3 calcium tablets a day.  I am excited that new
medicine is here and more coming that can possibly restore some of the bone
density.  This is definitely a topic for this list.  I do believe it can go
with the Celiac problem.  I did not then, nor now, appear to have any bone
problem at all.  We have a gal in our support group who is in a lot of pain
and has to be careful about even riding in a car for fear of going over bumps
that could break a bone.  She has Osteoporosis.  I think we need to take it
seriously and not end up on that track.  Have a great day.
-----Sharon in Kansas