From:
Virginia Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:54:33 -0400

Sorry I don't have any info for you. I just wanted to tell you of my
experience.  Not saying your daughter's diagnosis is wrong.......just my
story.
After years of having pain in my legs, stomache problems, balance
problems,
memory problems, vision problems I had an MRI that showed "white matter" in
my brain.  I was told at that time I might be looking at a diagnosis of MS.
I was terrified.  I put off any further testing for several years and still
suffered the same problems.  Then I got diagnosed with celiac, went gluten

free and most of my symptoms went away.  I was told that brain scans of MS

patients and celiacs can be very similar.  That was years ago.

While sleuthing a while back I found a site at www.direct-ms.org Their
recommended treatment is the milk-free, gluten-free diet with supplements,
including
enough Vitamin D (NOW makes both 1000 iu & 2000 iu gel caps) to get serum
levels well above normal. Those who spend their first 15 year south of the
37th
parallel in the US have a must less risk of developing MS.  I chased down
several of the links one day & found an interesting chart of D levels.
I'm
attaching it here because I couldn't didn't note the link & couldn't find
it again
when I tried.

The info I've read on vitamin D looks like a defiicieny might have
implications for many autoimmune disorders since it's required for healty
cell walls.
There's an interesting book called the UV Advantage by Michael Horlick,
who did
pioneering workin on Vit D at U/Wisconsin in the 70s. You can get a copy at
amazon.com for not much more than shipping--& I think two books probably ship
for the same price as 1.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------I
would immediately test my daughter for celiac (and use enterolab.com
because blood tests are sometimes equivocal).
She should be eating gluten when they do all the tests.  And then I  would
immediately take her off gluten, fanatically
off gluten.  I worked with a girl 20 yrs ago who was diagnosed with MS
and she had exacerbations and each time she
had an attack she lost capabilities.  This is nothing to play with.  It
progresses faster in younger people often, so do be
careful and do everythign you can for her.

Chris Klicka, an attorney with www.hslda.org was very bad with MS and
wrote a booklet about the diet that got him up and
walking again.  You should consider getting a copy of it.
AFter our daughter almost died and came up celiac in 2001, we had family
members tested.  My husband was
low positive.  I was low positive  also for IgG, and borderline for  IgA.
We both had genes.  His mother was
dying of MS and we had her tested; all 4 blood tests were clearly high
positive for celiac.  They put her on a gf
tube feeding becuase she could no longer swallow and she started to
improve.  She got out of bed and was up
in the wheelchair and talking and getting better until she got pneumonia
and died.  I feel there is a connection.
Both are autoimmune.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez_
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez)  I  don't know if you are
signed up with
_www.pubmed.com_
(http://www.pubmed.com)  or not. But I did a search on  celiac disease and
multiple
sclerosis and this is what came up. If you are not  signed up, you won't
be able to
read it. Get a name and password so you can read  all the articles.