From:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 16:09:11 -0700

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to post a summary of my travel on Norwegian Cruise Lines to the mediterranian.  The ship was a new one, Norwegian Gem.  I was told to check in with the restaurant manager when I boarded the ship.  That was a little awkward, as no one seemed to know who exactly that was.  But eating on the ship was no problem at all.  In every restaurant, I would tell them I had to be on a gluten-free diet.  The maitre d' would come to my table.  I would tell him what I would like to order, and he would phone the chef with his cell phone to check to see if it was gluten-free.  If it was, that's what I would have.  If it wasn't, he would suggest something else from the menu that was gluten-free.   They would check and double-check on things to be sure I had a safe meal.  It was fantastic!  They even had gluten-free bread in the dining rooms.  I had to preorder gluten-free waffles if I wanted to eat them for the next day.

Eating at the buffets was a little more difficult.  I was worried about cross-contamination, so I ate at the buffets only once or twice and was extremely cautious about what I ate.   The maitre d' in the buffet area would check with the chef and let me know what items were gluten-free.

We stopped at 3 ports in Italy and one in France.  I only ate at two of the ports in Italy, one in Sorrento and one in Rome.  In both instances, the tour guide would communicate to the restaurant that I was celiac and had to be on a gluten-free diet.  Both places accommodated me with no problem.  One even had gluten-free pasta for me.  They had a good understanding of what celiac is, unlike a lot of restaurants here in the states.  We also stopped for gelato a number of times, and they had gluten-free choices.  In Italian you say "senza glutine," pronouned like glutin-A.  They understood just fine.

We spent a couple of extra days in Barcelona after the cruise.  In Barcelona, I was very careful, as I was on my own and didn't have a tour guide.   Unfortunately, I did start to get a sick tummy the day we traveled back.  I have no clue what it was.  I can't trace it back to anything, unless there was cross-contamination shomehow.  I'm just glad that I got sick on the way back and wasn't sick while I was there.  I would highly recommend traveling on a cruise, as they were very concerned and went out of their way to make sure my meals were safe.
Denise

*******
*******