From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2005 16:07:31 -0700

My husband found this fascinating article in "USA Weekend" written by Jean
Carper, author of EATSMART.  Since so many of us celiacs have diabetes, I
thought this article would be pertinent.  I'll paraphrase below.  [My
comments in brackets.]

Certain supplements may help cut risk & alleviate symptoms in type 2
diabetes:

CHROMIUM PICOLINATE.  Taking 200 to 1,000 micrograms daily can lower blood
glutcose, improve insulin function and lessen diabetic symptoms such as
thirst & fatigue according to Dr. Anderson of the USDA.  In recent Israeli
research, taking 200mcg twice daily for three weeks reduced diabetics' blood
glucose by 26% and cholesterol by 9%.  Anderson recommends ALL adults take
200 mcg daily to PREVENT diabetes.  NEW STUDIES HAVE PUT OLD SAFETY
QUESTIONS TO REST.  [This supplement is available at health food stores &
many pharmacies.  It's also included in many better quality multiple
vitamin/mineral supplements such as TwinLab.]

CINNAMON.  The spice boosts insulin's efficiency in processing sugar,
Anderson says in one test, diabetics who ate 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamonn twice
daily for 40 days reduced their fasting blood sugar 18% to 29%,
triglycerices 23% to 30% and cholesterol 12% to 26%.  Sprinkle cinnamon on
foods such as cereal or fruit, or take it in capsules.

ALPHA-LIPOIC ACID.  This potent anti-oxident can improve blood sugar and
help prevent and treat diabetic complications such as cataracts and
neuropathy, says Lester Packer, Ph.D., of the U. of S. California.  In
German research, 600 mg daily significantly increased insulin sensitivity
and lowered blood sugar in type diaabetics after four weeks.  [I read in one
reliable source that unlike some supplements, cheap brands of alpha-lipoic
acid are just as effective as expensive brands.  This is available at
Walmart, many other pharmacies & health food stores.]

SALACIA OBLONGA.  This herb, used in India to treat diabetes and sold on the
Internet, lowered insulin 29% and blood glucose 23% in healthy adults,
reports Steve Hertzler, Ph.D., of Ohio State U.  But don't try it wi/o
telling your doctor, he says.  Effective daily doses range from 100mg to
1,000mg, with gastrointestinal distress occurring at higher levels.

[I believe it would be good advise for diabetics to discuss the above
interventions with their doctors before trying them.  "If it's strong enough
to do you good, it's also strong enough to do you harm!"]

Valerie in Tacoma