Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:10:35 -0500

Over 10,000 dietitians are expected to attend the American Dietetic Association (ADA) Conference to be held at the San Antonio Convention Center downtown on the Riverwalk October 25-28. Shelley Case, RD, author of Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide and who many of you will recognize as the dietitian who was recently on the NBC "Today Show", will be here. Cynthia Kupper, the executive director of the Gluten Intolerance Group headquartered in Seattle, and Mary Kay Sharrett, a dietitian from Columbus, Ohio, with over ten years' experience with celiac disease will also be here.

We get to meet these "celiac celebrities" at a special meeting for the San Antonio Celiac Support Group! Shelley, Cynthia, and Mary Kay have agreed to do a Q and A panel for us, so be thinking about your questions and possibly write them down. It is not often that we have the opportunity to host multiple celiac celebrities in our city. Plan to attend and be able to talk to them directly.

When: Tuesday, 28 October, at 7 pm
Where: Covenant Presbyterian Church,  211 Roleto Drive, Gymnasium (behind the kitchen area to the west)

This will not be a potluck, but you are welcome to bring some refreshments to share with the group. Be sure to bring either the recipe or a list of the ingredients to place by your gluten-free item. Some people are lactose intolerant and some are soy or casein intolerant, so they need to know what else is in your gluten-free goodie.

Please note that due to road construction, the usual approach to the church is blocked. Fortunately, it is still quite easy to get to the church. As you proceed west from Blanco Road on the I410 access road, take the turn to the right onto Northwest Military Highway. At the first traffic light, turn left onto Lemonwood, then left again onto Roleto. The church will be on your right. Enter the church through the door at the southwest corner of the parking lot, close to the sanctuary. Go straight back (west) past the kitchen to the gymnasium. Of course, if you are coming south on Northwest Military Highway, turn right onto Lemonwood.

If you are not a member of Alamo Celiac but would like to join, visit our Web site, www.alamoceliac.org, click on the Join button and then click on the first button on the Join page to get an Alamo Celiac Membership Form in PDF format that you can print and send in. If you'd like to learn more about our group before joining, contact Anne Barfield, 210-340-0648, [log in to unmask] for information.

Lynn Rainwater, Treasurer
Alamo Celiac
(San Antonio Celiac Support Group, Austin Celiac Support Association, Gluten-Free Gatherings of Corpus Christi)