From:
Dona Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 07:56:36 -0600

 We're wondering how to prevent cross contamination of condiments.  This
seems like an easy concept but we're finding it much more difficult in
practice.  The approved mayo, approved mustard, approved ketchup, and
honey are no problem, we can get them in squeeze bottles.  At dinner
last night we tried using a spoon to get butter out of the butter dish
instead of a knife because we knew that a knife spreading butter on a
piece of glutenous bread would then contaminate the butter when it was
put in the butter dish again.    Okay, so our dilemma came in getting
the butter off the spoon, and not touching the bread.  You can't scrape
the spoon across the bread.  If the knife touches the spoon, after the
knife has touched the bread,  isn't the spoon then contaminated?

My celiac fiance said he'd rather have a little contamination then go
through all this hassle but I vehemently disagree.  He's not sensitive
enough to that kind of contamination to have a reaction but I know that
it may still be hurting him and I'm looking forward to a long life with
him.  I thought someone on the list might have an answer.   Jelly,
peanut butter, and butter are the first problems that I see.