Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 19:49:55 -0400

My doctor is currently hesitant to stamp "CD" on my chart
on let me be on my merry way... he's a fresh-faced pup, fairly
new out of med school ... and while I enjoy his listening
skills and desire to find out what's going on in my GI tract ...
he seems a little by-the-book ... so, here's where we differ:

1. I start to feel sick about 5 minutes after ingesting gluten ...
doctor says this is "too soon" and that "classic" celiacs
don't feel ill for 6-8 hours  ... and that vomiting is not
a symptom, certainly not that soon. [I told him it is like
a trampoline down there ... the one bit of glutenous
evil just pops right back up and I feel better.]

2. my reaction is very predicatable: a very hot burning feeling
in my face ... followed by numb feet ... followed by diarrhea...
followed by chills, then feet return to normal, then ears ring,
then body temp returns to normal.  doctor says the
burning feeling in the face is "worrisome" and not
"really" a CD symptom.

3. enzyme blood test came back negative -- but I had been
GF for about a week when the blood was drawn. doctor
says a week of GFness would not have skewed the result.
[local hospital is notorious in messing up blood tests ...
do I demand that my blood be sent to that place in NY?]

4. I am average sized and the doctor stresses that the
"number one" symptom of CD is wasting. He is holding up
the lack of wasting as his main reason for not feeling
"convinced" that this is CD  ...

5. I've got the bone pain, adult acne, and seizures ...
seizures which have all but vanished since being GF. yay.

He's not as muleheaded as I make him sound; he was
thrilled to hear about this list and has agreed to be part
of our local support group ... I just get the impression that
he may be a little green when it comes to meeting
us in real life and I'm getting a little cranky ...

Will summarize, anxious to hear from "real" celiacs
and you "classic" models too. :)

tracey in connecticut