From:
Rick B Schroeter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 20:59:34 -0600

Just want to alert everyone to a problem I had with Vitamin Shoppe
recently. Since this is a big supplier of vitamins, and many order off
the internet from this company, I felt it was important to relate my
story. I ordered through their catalog, looking carefully at the
ingredients list, and also what was NOT in the vitamins. They stated that
their brand of Osteo Protector did not contain wheat, corn, yeast, sugar,
salt, milk, eggs, starch, soy, gluten, dairy, citrus, fish,
preservatives, artificial colors or flavors added. Pretty clean, huh?
Well, since I definitely can't have wheat and gluten, that looked good. I
also cannot have dairy or SOY, though.

When I received the vitamins, I looked carefully at the list of stuff
that was not supposed to be in them (printed  boldly on one side of the
bottle). Looked good, same as what was advertised in the catalog. But
then I looked at the column showing the calcium, magnesium, vitamin D and
Ipriflavone as the main ingredients. Under that, in small print, was
"other ingredients."  There was SOY
 in this vitamin, even though it stated on the other side that there was
no soy in it.

I called the company and was informed by a Chris Martin that some of the
catalogs have not been corrected to show that soy is in this vitamin.
Also, he stated,  I must have been given a bottle of vitamins with the
old label stating that soy was not an ingredient, and then listing it as
one under other ingredients. I told him that if wheat or gluten was in
"other ingredients" and I had not read the label carefully, I could have
been seriously ill after taking this.

This company is not labeling correctly and I felt this should be brought
to the attention of all on the list.

Christie in TX