Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 05:16:45 -0800

  I recently posted a response from ConAgra Foods about their products, especially their peanut butter. I had written them because I’m trying to track a source of gluten. I mentioned that this peanut butter and Philadelphia Cream Cheese are the only new things in my diet. I keep a diet diary.

  First of all, the reaction I’ve been having is DH, not digestive distress so I know that it’s not lactose intolerance or anything like that (I am lactose intolerant and take Lactaid whenever I eat dairy, including the cream cheese). It’s also not the Splenda in the peanut butter. I use a lot of Splenda regularly to help me regulate my blood sugar and have no problems with it.

  The Peter Pan was recalled a while back. Oklahoma was one of the states affected and I returned a couple of jars at the time. Peter Pan was off of all store shelves in my area for quite awhile and the No Sugar Added version has only returned to shelves in the past week or so, so I am confident that what I have been eating is not from a recalled batch. I never had a problem with the peanut butter before the recall. So, it is probably that it is not the problem now. I am eliminating it anyway, though to see if my reaction goes away.

  Several people suggested using other brands. I was using Skippy Natural while I was waiting for the Peter Pan to return to the shelves. It does contain a little bit of sugar, but I decided that it wasn’t enough to affect my blood sugar too much, especially with all the protein. It’s also much cheaper than a lot of the other natural peanut butters. I think I’ll go back to it whether the Peter Pan is the problem or not because I liked the flavor a lot better.

  One person mentioned having a reaction to the Philadelphia Cream Cheese. If I still have a reaction in a week or so, I’ll try cutting that out.

  If and when I do figure out what is affecting me, I’ll report it to the group.
  Angela Taylor