From:
Cynthia R Kupper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:48:04 -0400

List members,

I have chosen until this time to follow the discussion about quinoa from
the sidelines. Now I would like to clarify for the List, GIG's position
on amaranth, quinoa, and buckwheat. GIG has a policy statement
acknowledging that amaranth, quinoa, and buckwheat are not related to the
monocot grains (wheat, oats, rye, barley - WORB). They are dicots and
therefore do not, according to the scientific research, contain gluten.
As psuedocereals (meaning false cereals) they are seeds. GIG, however
does have a concern about cross-contamination of these cereals with WORB
grains and at this time recommends that these cereals not be used (until
the contamination issue can be further clarified).

If someone calls me and asks me about these cereals, the above is what I
tell them. If they feel confident that their source is "PURE" and without
possible contamination, then I remind them these cereals according to
research are gluten free, but like all foods, some people may have
"sensitivties" to them ---not related to gluten, but like allergies.

I have researched these cereals extensively in the last 2 years. I feel
confident they are gluten free. As to the contamination issue, I am less
sure. I have contacted two quinoa companies in the USA...one gets their
quinoa from South America, where no other crops are grown within 100
miles. The other company grows their quinoa in a 'rotation' crop with
potato, legumes and wheat. Contamination, it would seem is greater the
more the cereals are handled. Thus, the more steps taken to process,
refine, and repackage, the greater the likelihood of contamination. Do I
have facts for this ---No! Am I trying to find a way to support this
theory -- Yes!

As part of GIG's revised Diet Instruction (12/97), we have included a
chart that shows the areas of concern for a number of grains and cereals
(ex.; kamut, quinoa, etc.).  Although, the recommendation is not to use
these cereals, the explaination tells the story as to why --concerns with
contamination not gluten.

It is GIG's mission to provide the most accurate information possible,
based on scientific research. As a national organization, we must
however, take into account and advise for what is best for the majority
of the celiac population. If we error on the side of caution, please
understand our reasons. I, as a Dietitian and Health Educator, understand
it is not my job to tell you what you can and can't do, but to provide
you with information to allow you to make the wisest possible decisions
for yourself.

I welcome your comments. You may email me at: [log in to unmask] or on my
personal email: [log in to unmask]

Cynthia Kupper, CRD, CDE
CEO and President
Gluten Intolerance Group of North America
PO Box 23053, Seattle WA 98102-0353