Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:21:49 -0500

At 10:07 AM 6/13/00 -0500, Gayle wrote:

<< I was just happily reading thru the recipe for gluten-free vegan chili
and almost fell off the desk chair.  One of the ingredients is Liquid
Smoke. >>

[...]

<< I've had three encounters with Liquid Smoke, and my son has had one - we
are both celiacs and also chemically sensitive.  For both of us, Liquid
Smoke turns us into zombies. >>

[...]

<< The flavor is wonderful.  For us, the reaction was not worth the flavor.
 So I feel it is at least wise to let you know. Perhaps our experience is
idiosyncratic, as my non-celiac husband ate the same food with no reaction.
 One of the main ingredients in Liquid Smoke is MSG.  Perhaps that was the
problem - I don't know for sure. >>

WOW Gayle!

That is a scary story indeed!!!  I am so glad you shared your information
with the list.  I use it sparingly or not at all...but I sure wouldn't want
*that* to happen!  Interesting that your husband wasn't affected.  Also, I
wonder what else in the meal it might have been or if it indeed may have
been a reaction to MSG.

Here is the info I have on the two brands in my cabinet:

Wright's Concentrated All Natural Hickory Seasoning Liquid Smoke
  Ingredients: water, natural hickory smoke concentrate.  3.5oz
I called 1-888-887-3268 and pressed "0" for the operator as I wasn't
interested in receiving a GF list or leaving my address.  I spoke with
Susan in quality control and she said it contains no gluten, no salt
(sodium), and is not carcinogenic (?).  The parent company is B & G Company
- now have 17 brands of foods and they would be glad to send you a list of
GF products.

Talko' Texas Liquid Smoke
  Ingredients: water, natural hickory smoke flavor concentrate, caramel
color, polysorbate 80.  5oz.

I called 1-800-749-6572 and spoke with the person who answered - she said
it was on the gluten-free list.  I quizzed her about the caramel coloring
to be sure and she is going to double-check, then e-mail me.  :-)