Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 1995 21:33:13 -0700

My father is the Celiac in the family and I subscribe to
this listserv for him. As far as I know, I do not have CD.

However, I *have* had the itchy ears. Several years after
moving to Texas I developed an allergy that came around
every September and October. My ears itched way inside my
head as did the very back of the roof of my mouth. Some
years I took antihistamines and some years I just toughed it
out. I never allowed my allergist to talk me into year-round
shots.

I've been in San Diego almost 4 years now and have recently
had itching and clogged ears. The 1st visit to the ear
doctor here resulted in my taking diuretic pills for a month
because *I was retaining fluid in my middle ear*!! At the
follow-up visit, the doctor asked if I'd lost any weight
(I'm overweight) on the pills. I answered NO. He asked if
the ear that was bothering me had improved. I answered YES,
but the other ear was now worse than the 1st one had ever
been. His response then was that the pills must be working
(!!) and that I should keep taking them for another 6
months. I suggested that perhaps I'd developed an allergy
and told him of my Texas allergy. He then wanted to write a
prescription for antihistamines. When I declined the
antihistamines, he said I should continue taking the
diuretics for another 6 months and then come back for
another office visit. I won't be taking any more pills. I
won't go back. My ears are getting better by themselves.

My advice is to use your own common sense and not believe
everything doctors tell you and not let them talk you into
anything you aren't comfortable with.

Hope all your ears stop itching soon. Warm water makes mine
feel better.

Jan Hill in San Diego California