From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 20:47:05 -0500

My Own Meals have 5 gluten free, kosher and refrigeration free meals.
The 5 meals that are gf are: chicken mediterranean, My kind of Chicken,
Chicken & black beans, Old World Stew, and beef stew and the meals that
are NOT GF are: Cheese tortellini, vegetarian stew, chicken & noodles,
Florentine lasagna, pasta with garden vegetables. They contain no MSG,
no artificial flavors or colors. They are available in serving dishes or
travel/camping pouches, with the pouches having a much longer shelf
life. They are Kosher under the Organization of Orthodox Kashruth
Supervision--Rabbis A & M Soloveichik (I checked in Nov 2001 when the
cRc in Chicago said they are ok to use). The chicken in the current
meals came from Empire.

I have tried all 5 meals (my personal favorites were: chicken & black
beans, Old world stew), they were easy to take with me on the plane,
they heated up quickly in a microwave and with a salad & a starch I was
full.

This is one of the sources to the US military for kosher & halel meals
(there is another source that will be going into production in about 2
weeks but I am still verifying if any of their meals are gf) and under
US law governing foods provided to the US military ALL ingredients must
come from the US (or you have to prove that there is NO US source for
the ingredient). If you are in the military then this is where you can
get gf MRE's for use in the field.

Unfortunately the distribution of these meals are rather limited since
there is currently NO mail order source for these meals besides the
company. To order from the company you must order by the case (one type
of meal per case and 12 meals per case), with orders of 16 cases or more
shipped without shipping charges & the charge per meal is approximately
2.30. If you order one case the cost per case is approximately $44 plus
Shipping. They recommend getting together with others and ordering so
you can get a cheaper price.  There are stores that carry them (the
price seems to run about 4.80 per meal) but you need to call the company
to ask for a local source (in Chicago area they are available at
Hungarian Kosher, 4020 Dakton & Oakton, Skokie, 708-674-8008 and in the
DC/Baltimore area they are only available at Shalom Strictly Kosher,
2307 University Blvd, Wheaton MD 301-946-6500).

They do have a gf list but it is not on the website (they indicate they
have gf meals on the website but do not name which meals are gf, rather
they say which ones are NOT gf). Every time I have called they have been
very cooperative. The website does have a list of all ingredients for
each meal.

My Own Meals, Inc
PO Box 334
Deerfield, Illinois 60015 USA