Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 21:01:09 -0400

I was diagnosed with Celiac in March of 1996.  I was in the hospital for a
week--most of that time, they had me on feeding tubes because of the weight I
had lost.  I am doing fine now, watching my diet.  However, if I let myself
go too long without eating, I experiece several symptoms.  It usually happens
if I go about 3 hours without eating.  My stomache feels completely empty, I
feel lightheaded with some nausea.  If I don't eat something right then, then
I begin to shake and feel very dizzy (sometimes hot flashes too).  Also, I
tend to get a bad attitude and have a hard time concentrating.  Then when I
go to eat, I feel like I have to eat anything and everything I can get my
hands on.  I am 26 yrs old, and have never had this problem before.  Also,
the time I can go without eating seems to be shortening.  I have evened off
at about 95 pounds, so weight control is not an issue.  I feel healthy in
every other sense.

I try and not let too much time pass between snacks, however, sometimes I
can't help it.  I have heard there is a connection between diabetis and
Celiac.  The doctor tested me in the hospital and it was negative, but over a
year has past.  If someone has both of these, please write and tell me what
you think about my symptoms.  (I have an appt with my doctor--but it could be
weeks before I learn anything from him).  Thank you very much for your time.