From:
Melissa Maedgen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 17:47:49 -0600

I didn't get many responses to my question about Bahama Breeze restaurants,
but I did get some helpful information. I went to Bahama Breeze on
Valentine's Day. I made an effort to go early before the big rush, but when
I arrived there was already a 45 minute wait for a table. My boyfriend and I
were hungry, so we went out on the patio and ordered appetizers. I ordered
the Tostones con Pollo, after having my server verify with the chef that it
would be safe; my boyfriend, not a celiac, ordered a pizza. Portions are
large, so that ended up being plenty of food, and we never went inside to a
table (they only serve appetizers on the patio; you have to get a table
indoors to order an entree). The Tostones con Pollo was good, and I did not
get sick.

Here is a summary of the replies I received:

I did hear from the mystery poster who had mentioned the restuarant in the
Tony Roma's thread. She wrote:

"I'm the lover of Bahama Breezes!  I eat there all of the time.  I've spoken
to the chef and manager and both have said that the following things are gf.
I've never had a reaction to any of them either.

BahamaRita
Shrimp St. Barts with the plantains
salad- no croutons- dressing OK too
Fish in a bag"

Another person replied: "We have one in Tampa and I have been successful
in eating there.  Can't remember all the dishes -- but with a little
coordination with the server and management all was great (swapping side
dishes is easy).  Also they have a plantains pizza dish (it is an
appetizer) and is yummy!!"

MY COMMENT: The plantain dish is Tostones con Pollo. I would describe it as
being like nachos, with fried plantain slices instead of corn chips. The
topping is chicken, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms and cheese. It's good.

Another person wrote: "They have a great fish dish with veggies wrapped
in parchment..then baked..it's fun to open it when it comes to your
table..I never felt safer!  I can't remember what else I've had it has
been a while,  I moved North and haven't been able to find one up here!"

COMMENT: She's referring to the Fish in a Bag. That's a good entree; I have
had it in the past.

I have never eaten there, but I know it is owned by Darden restaurants. They
own Red Lobster, Olive Garden & Smokey Bones to name a few.  You may want to
email them and get your ??'s answered

COMMENT: That seems like a good idea. I did visit the Bahama Breeze Web site
and filled out their online form. I haven't heard back yet. I may try to
contact Darden restaurants and see if I have better luck.

For anyone who's interested the Bahaman Breeze Web site is at
http://www.bahamabreeze.com, and includes the complete menu and a map of
locations.

Many thanks to everyone who resonded!

Melissa Maedgen