From:
MRS MARTHA O DUNN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 07:13:55 EST

I have tried to gather all my bits of info pertaining to questions
and subjects I have read on this list.

**I am Danish, Scot, and English.  I have been diagnosed with 'gluten
enteropathy'... in other words.. because or inspite of the fact I was
on the GF diet when I had my biopsy done my test came back negative...
Drs. words "DO NOT go off the diet!  On my fathers side we have
diabetes & rhuematoid arthritis. On my mothers side (she died of
lymphoma when I was 12yrs) we have Thyroid (goiters), hepatitus,
severe asthma, and exema.

**Rice Non Dairy Drink by "Westbrae Natural Foods" - #310-886-8200
ext 124 - does not bother my daughter or myself. I have to admit I
have not called to verify the rice syrup. (one serving of "rice
dream" and we have a reaction)

**The most helpful and knowledgable doctors I have found to help
diagnose hidden gluten problems are ALLERGISTS and/or EAR,NOSE,THROAT
PHYSICIANS.  There are four of us in the family on the GF diet (and
#5 should be!) - many times what we consider a GF reaction can be
triggered by other intolerances... the most common list:

    wheat          gluten        eggs
    milk           soy           corn
    peanuts        legumes       fish

**Fibromialgia: I went to numerous Drs. over the years (all the way
to Boston) and was told I would just have to accept and learn to live
with it. Ever since I went GF my Fibromialgia got better.  When I
eliminated CORN from my diet the Fibromialgia disapeared completely.
I am not a fanatic about removing every bit of corn from my diet like
I am about gluten, but I do not use corn starch in cooking unless I
absolutely have to... neither do I run to the table for a plate of
corn. A corn reaction tends to be different... it seems to slowly
enter my system... and slowly stiffen and freeze up my muscles and
joints. One good dose of corn (the more I eat the stronger the
reaction) will give me 3 days of "arthritis" peaking on the 2nd day.
I asked the dr. "why" -- "It is VERY common and you happen to be one
of the lucky ones!"  Not the answer I was looking for... but, he did
say.. "OTHER THAN GLUTEN you can do a four day rotation on the foods
you have intolerances to... that way you don't have the build up of
int
lerances or the severe reactions". I have to admit this is not an
easy task for me with three kids to keep track of... but over time I
have learned what is the worst for each child and myself and can
usually ward off most disasters.  A four day rotation diet is not
something that works well for us.

**It has taken a long time to get healthy and I still have reactions
when I least expect it... the latest is losing, in one week, the
10lbs it took 3mos to put on!! BUT... it sure is nice being able to
take care of my family instead of them taking care of me.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL and thanks for all the info!!  Martha in NH