From:
Kris Platzbecker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:24:01 -0500

I just got off the phone with Duncan Hines.  I had a can of the vanilla
frosting in my cupboard when a fellow member noted it now had malt in it's
list of ingredients.  I have to admit, I bought it and didn't double check
the ingredients this time because I have always been told the homestyle
frostings are GF.  Well, sure enough (not to my surprise) my can of vanilla
homestyle had malt syrup as its last ingredient.  So, I called them and was
told all the homestyle frostings are still GF.  So, she double and triple
checked the ingredients on her computer and swore her version of the
ingredients did NOT have malt in them.  We were on the phone for quite some
time and have not resolved this issue.  I won't be opening this can of
frosting and my next trip to the store I will be checking the other
flavors.  Could this be that the phone reps have not been updated with
recent formula changes or could this be a mis-labeling problem on some
batches of these?  I don't know, but wonder if more people call and
question the mix up we may get to the bottom of it.  Please, if you choose
to call, be polite about the whole thing.  I would hate to lose out on
these frostings because we (the celiac community) are perceived as "pains",
etc.  Anyone with additional info, please post it to the list, and I will
do the same.

Kris in IL