From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2006 21:54:25 -0700

My best chicken jambalaya, yet.  Jambalaya making is an art.  In the little
town of Gonzales, Louisiana, "Jambalaya Capital of the World" where I grew
up, the locals work all their lives to perfect their own jambalaya
recipe(s).  These recipes are closely guarded family secrets.  There's a
cook-off every summer at the "Jambalaya Festival."  The winner is crowned
Jambalaya King or Queen for the year and is priviledged to be the official
jambalaya cook for all the town's official functions.  I've been working on
my own recipe for about ... well never mind how long!

I hope you'll enjoy my latest version of chicken jambalaya.  It will likely
be my favorite for a while.  I love it for it's flavor and simplicity.  The
dark thigh meat browns nicely & inhances the flavor.

The pros cook jamabalaya in a huge iron caldron over an open flame.  I cook
it on the stove top in a cast iron Dutch oven that holds about 5 quarts.
(Size 8.)  This recipe can be doubled in this size pot.  (My Dutch oven is
NOT the camping kind with little legs.)

~Valerie in Tacoma

1 tablespoon coconut oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1 inch chunks (chicken breast
meat is too dry)
1/2 onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup Asian type short grain brown rice (I use Tsuru Mai.)
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (I use S & W.)
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Heat oil in heavy flame proof dutch oven.
Add chopped chicken & onions.  Stir constantly over medium heat until onions
are wilted.  Stir in celery & garlic.  Continue stirring & scraping bottom
of pot until vegetables & chicken begin to brown.  Stir in rice & stir a
minute or two more so that some of the grains become opaque.  Add remaining
tomatoes & water, salt & pepper.  Bring to boil & scrape bottom of pot once
more.  (The brown stuff stuck to the bottom of the pot is what gives the
characteristic flavor to this jambalaya.)  Cover tightly & bake in oven for
45 minutes.  Allow to sit 10 to 15 minutes before serving.  Serves 4.

*******
*******