From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 07:49:05 -0700

Hi All--

First of all, thanks to everyone who wished me a Happy
Birthday - I'm getting old enough to not want to
advertise it myself, but I'm still young enough to
feel so pleased when people acknowledge it.

Wow, lots of you have experienced similar situations
(or are about to)! I received 60+ responses to my
request for suggestions on how to handle the issue of
my special diet in the face of a "possible" office
celebration on my birthday, preferably without
broadcasting to everyone that I have special dietary
needs.

The responses were pretty evenly broken out into four
thoughts, with one additional category:

1. Tell someone I'm close to in the office about my
dietary restrictions and give them the cake mixin's,
pan, etc. and ask them if they would make a cake to
bring; or at least confide in someone and perhaps
suggest ice cream, fruit, flowers, etc.

2. Let people know that I'm having a birthday and
because I have a rather fussy diet, I'll bring in the
goodies. No need to go into details on the diet, but
be informative if people inquire at the celebration.

3. Say nothing, but if there's a celebration and
goodies I can't have, make a big fuss about how
thoughtful everyone is, make a big ta'do about cutting
the cake/pie/whatever and passing pieces around, but
tell them I just had a big meal/snack/whatever and
will just take a piece for later; or do all the
fussing and be grateful, but tell them I have dietary
restrictions/allergies that won't allow me to eat the
goodies...but I'm pleased that everyone can share in
my special day.

4. Bring a cupcake or goody for myself and if there's
a celebration, do No. 3 above and eat the gf goody I
brought for myself.

Many of you thought this was an ideal opportunity to
educate people - and I agree, wholeheartedly! One
person asked why didn't I want to tell my coworkers
about my diet restrictions. It isn't that I don't want
my coworkers to know, I just think that bringing it up
right before my birthday might appear to be a rather
abrupt hint. This office *searches* for reasons to
have potlucks, parties, lunches, treat days, etc., so
I do want people to know my restrictions...but they
forgot my birthday last year and I didn't want to make
it an issue this year by mentioning my special
diet...they may forget my birthday again this year.

The last category is those wonderful suggestions that
made me laugh, but probably weren't too practical.

I haven't yet decided what I'll do. All of the
suggestions were good...I'll let ya'all know what I
finally decide and how it turns out.

Hope this summary is helpful for those about to go
through this same thing. I think the most important
thing is to be gracious, don't get too heavy on
details unless someone asks, and then perhaps only on
a person by person basis. From what many of you told
me and from reading "Against the Grain," social
situations are not where you'd want to do brain
surgery.

Cheers,
Ayn