From:
Sue Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:10:37 -0200

HI, I'm new to the list and am really enjoying it.

I was diagnosed as Celiac in 1992, with a biopsy, and have been GF since.
As I am living in Africa, there is little support available other
than the internet.  With a strong scientific background I am interested
in learning more.

In looking through the archives, I found very little scientific information
about "leaky gut".  Is the test offered by "Great Smokies Diagnostic
Laboratories" (www.gsdl.com) considered standard and of high diagnostic
quality?  What causes (if known and researched) leaky gut if you are on a
GF diet?  Please send responses, I'll be glad to summarize.

It sounds like many of us have been diagnosed as adults.  In the FAQ it is
stated "...and some kind of trigger.  The trigger may be environmental (as
in overexposure to wheat), situational (perhaps severe emotional stress),
physical (such as a pregnancy, an operation), or pathological (a viral
infection)."

Does anyone know where I can get information on how well researched is the
statement about "...some kind of trigger."   How are these triggers
positively identified?  There certainly appeared to be none in my case that
was clearly identifiable.

Again, glad to summarize.

Finally, my diagnosis was very difficult as the Dr.'s were treating
the symptoms, not looking for a cause.  Since one symptom was vomiting,
they gave me an anti-nauseau drug - Stematil.  I had a severe reaction
to this drug of a "Parkinsonian type seizure", during which I dislocated my
jaw. Is this reaction to anti-nausea drugs common among celiacs?

Again, thanks for a great resource.

Sue Webb