Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:25:26 -0700

Here are some recent restaurant experiences from the
Phoenix/Scottsdale area I thought I'd share.  Please remember, these
are only based on my experience, so check them out for yourself, too.

NIna : )
Celiac Support of Greater Phoenix
Diagnosed 1996

BREWED AWAKENINGS  (Bell Rd / 40 St) - A great little coffee shop
that is quite a bit nicer than Starbucks (IMHO) - really nice &
friendly atmosphere / extenisive menu.  AND-They also have some GF
items on hand from Gluten Free Creations (by cookbook author LynnRae
Ries).  When I went, their gf stock was low, but still, it was soooo
nice to have my cup of coffee with a gf muffin top.  They also make
sandwiches.  I didn't ask, but would hope that they also keep some gf
bread on hand.

KONA GRILL (Fashion Square) - They very much wanted to help out with
my gluten free needs.  The food manager came over with a gf Kona
Grill list he had printed off the Internet.  BE CAREFUL! He explained
that it had been put together by their chefs (who are not Celiacs)
and had not been reviewed by a dietician (most of whom are also not
Celiacs).  I asked about the possible cross contamination of the
French fries which were on that gf list and YES INDEEDY, there IS
cross contamination.  I told him that the fries should NOT be on the
list.  I didn't have time to further review the list - so if you go
there, ASK and be careful.  (Actually, we always need to do that
wherever we  go, since situations like this crop up all the time.)
Still, they did want to bend over backwards to help me and in the end
did a great (and delicious) job & I do commend them on their efforts.
(I recommended that they consult with one of the national Celiac
organizations when they rewrite their gf list.)

BLACK ANGUS (Scottsdale Rd & Rose) - NO gf menu (very surprising,
since so many chains now have).  And after speaking with the
server-it seems so much of everything they serve has their "Special
Seasoning" which is NOT GF! (So watch for that seasoning and the
cross contamination with) - The Wings are definitely not gf and the
potato skins are fried in cross contaminated oil.  I wasn't that
hungry and didn't want to risk the chance, so I had a glass of Merlot
for dinner, instead.  : (