From:
"Joan K. Van Loozenoord" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 07:26:50 -0600

Here are the results of my plea for Power Bar recipes.  I received 5

-------------
Two people reminded me about the list of backpacking food posted by Jeff
Golden on the WWW at:
       http://rdz.stjohns.edu/library/medic/celiac/backpack.html
-------------
One person said, "We carry dried apricots and small boiled red potatoes for
bike ride snacks. We also like Ener-G Foods granola bars (no connection to
company), but haven't carried them on our bike trips."
-------------
Another person wrote, "It is nice to take bananas along on a ride, but they
get mushy after a while.  I also take Healthy Valley crispy rice bars - they
come 4 to a box.  No high tech food for this biker - have to rely on the old
standbys!!!"
-------------
I received one recipe.  Thanks, Cathy!

        Chewy Bars

        1 1/3 cups honey
        3/4 cup sugar
        3 tablespoons butter
        4 cups gf flour mix (Betty Hagman's)
        1 teaspoon baking powder
        1/2 teaspoon baking soda
        1/2 cup blanched almonds
        1/4 cup chopped, candied cherries
        1/4 cup chopped, candied orange peel
        1/4 teaspoon ginger
        1/2 teaspoon cardamon
        2 teaspoons cinnamon
        1/8 teaspoon cloves

In a large saucepan, heat the honey, sugar and butter until butter is
melted. Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, soda and spices in a bowl
and mix well. Add this to the melted mixture and stir well. Mix in the
candied fruits and almonds. Add the last 2 cups of flour and mix well.
This mixture will be sticky and is enough for one 8 by 8 inch pan plus
one 10 1/2 by 15 1/2 inch cake pan. Smear the dough into the pans and
bake about 25 minutes in a preheated oven. Cut into squares and let it
cool. Th bars will be hard. Allow them to age 1 week in an air tight
container. The bars will soften and become chewy, and the flavors will
blend. ( the recipe does not say to grease the pans)
You could probably add chocolate chips to these bars as well.

This recipe was taken out of a regular cookbook so you may have to play
around with the amount of flour.

Thanks for the replies.  I'm hoping to have time this weekend to try out this
recipe and do some experimenting to see if I can reduce the amount of sugar and
honey and still have it come out.  Do any of you have recipes for some kind of
fruit sweetened power bar?  I like to cook with date sugar, fruit puree and
juice concentrate.

Joan Van Loozenoord
Denver, Colorado