From:
Sherri T Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 10:39:22 -0500

My husband was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 3 years ago.  Since I'm the
chief cook and bottle washer :), I really appreciate the help I've
received from this list.

I understand the frustration you all feel at restaurants and dinner
parties, as I've watched my husband deal with it.

I've seen references to telling people it's an allergy.  I realize there
may be situations where that's the best recourse.  However, my husband
used to do this at restaurants, and I advised him not to.  I'm concerned
that there are people who don't take allergies seriously, or who may
think that "a little bit" won't hurt, just cause some minor discomfort or
something.

When he needs a brief explanation, my husband will usually say that he
has Celiac Disease, which means that gluten is poison for him, and that
if he consumes it, it can cause his small intestine to shut down.  If the
listener seems to be able to handle more, he tells a little about how
sick he was before he was diagnosed.

This is  just my opinion, of course.

Sherri Miller

Failed as a proofreader for M&Ms.